Connect with us:
Contact us on 0191 414 8090
Hadrian Window Systems


Welcome to our FAQs page, here you can browse the most commonly asked questions.

If you've got a question that you can't find an answer to, please give us a call on 0191 414 8090 or drop us an email.

What Type of Windows do you supply?

We supply a wide range of windows including:

  • PVCu (Casement, Tilt & Turn, Fully Reversible and Vertical Sliding Sash)
  • Hybrid (Casement, Tilt & Turn, Fully Reversible)
  • Secondary Glazing
  • Fire Rated Glazing

Return to Top

Are triple glazed windows best for noise reduction?

Triple glazed windows are thermally more efficient than double glazed however to reduce noise double glazed with acoustic glass is recommended.  Using same size white PVCu window we can achieve the following: 

Double Glazed with acoustic glass     38 Rw (dB)

Double Glazed                                        32 Rw (dB)

Triple Glazed                                           31 Rw (dB)

Return to Top

Are your windows and doors made to measure?

All of our windows and doors are made to measure.  However, there are minimum and maximum size restrictions.

Return to Top

How do you dispose of my old frames?

We remove all waste from the installation and bring it back to our site in Blaydon where it is separated into various skips for recycling. 

Return to Top

Where do I need fire escapes?

 Our consultant or surveyor will advise what is required to comply with Health & Safety and Building Regulations for fire escape routes within your property.

Return to Top

Do your windows provide any child safety?

Yes, we have many different solutions for safety and security depending upon your needs.  We can advise the best solutions for you.

Return to Top

What is the difference between 'sash' and 'casement' windows?

Sash windows are more traditional and slide up and down, casement windows give greater flexibility and have 'openers' that can be pushed out or open/tilt in.

Return to Top

Do you have a sash window that tilts in to clean?

Yes. This option is available for sash windows.  There are a few cleaning options for PVCu windows depending upon the style you choose.  Our representative or surveyor can advise you.  

Return to Top

What is a 'sash horn'?

A sash horn is a decorative item added to windows to give a traditional look.  You can get 'run though' horns which continuously run through the sash or 'add on' horns which are a separate piece of profile added onto the sash.  

Return to Top

How do I get replacement keys for my windows and doors?

For security and legal reasons neither us or our suppliers are allowed to keep copies of your keys.  The best way to get additional keys is to see a locksmith.  If you have lost your keys then you will need to purchase a new window handle (with new keys) or a new barrel for your door (with new keys) and have a locksmith fit and replace for you.

Return to Top

Can you supply windows for use in UK conservation areas?

Yes we have supplied and installed windows within UK conservation areas.  It is essential that you check your local authority to get advice as to what is required to meet conservation regulations for your property.

Return to Top

Do I need planning permission before installing windows and doors?

You do not need planning permission to replace existing windows and doors.  However, if you are in a conservation area you may be restricted to designs and materials you are allowed to replace with.  If unsure it is always a good idea to get advice from your local council as these laws are subject to change.

Return to Top

Do I have to have trickle vents in my new windows?

If your existing windows have trickle vents you are required by Building Regulations to have them in your new windows.  New windows to a new build ie extension also require trickle vents.  If your existing windows do not have trickle bents you have the choice to have them fitted or not.


Return to Top

uPVC or PVCu - which is correct?

They are both correct.

uPVC changed it's name to PVCu in the late 1980's to fall in line with Europe.  Most European languages place the noun (the word PVC) before the adjective (u).  The 'PVC' part stands for Polyvinyl Chloride and the 'u' stands for Un-plasticised.

Return to Top

How do you reduce condensation?

Condensation is a result of humidity levels coming into contact with cold surfaces.

The inner glass of a double/triple glazed window will be warmer than the outside which reduces humidity contact.  Rooms require heating in cold weather to raise the temperature of the inner glass unit.  However, when high levels of humidity happen (cooking, showers/baths, boiling kettles, sleeping) ventilation is required. 

Return to Top

What Type of Doors do you supply?

We supply a wide range of doors including:

  • Composite Doors
  • PVCu Doors
  • Frameless Doors
  • Patio Doors
  • French Doors
  • Bi-Folding Doors
  • Fire Rated Doors

Return to Top

What is a composite door?

Composite doors are made of a variety of materials to make them very strong, secure and thermally efficient.  They often consist of PVC, timber edging with insulating foam with a glass reinforced plastic (GRP) coating.  Some are made from a solid timber core to make them unbeatably strong.  The GRP skin is usually wood-grained and often coloured to give a painted timber look.  

Return to Top

How thick are your Composite doors?

Our standard range is 44mm thick.  We can also supply and fit 70mm thick composite doors.  

Return to Top

Does my new door require a Fensa certificate?

Doors with less than 50% glazing do not require a Fensa certificate under Part L of the Building Control Regulations.

Return to Top

Are your doors wheelchair friendly?

Our replacement door thresholds can be modified to give wheelchair access.

Return to Top

Can Bi Folding doors open from the centre?

Yes.  There are many opening combinations with Bi Folding doors.

Return to Top

Why do I need a Fensa certificate?

Any homeowner who has had replacement windows or doors (over 50% glass) installed by a FENSA member after April 2002 would be issued with a FENSA certificate.

Companies who are FENSA registered have undergone strict vetting procedures and are routinely inspected to ensure Building Regulations compliance is maintained.

Keep Safe - if you sell your property you will need to produce your FENSA certificate to the solicitor of the person buying your property.  If lost, you can request a duplicate direct from FENSA but this takes time and at an extra cost.    This can be ordered online 

Return to Top

Do you offer an Insurance Backed Guarantee?

Where we install products (excluding repairs and replacement double glazed units) all homeowners will receive an Insurance Backed Guarantee policy direct from The Glass and Glazing Federation Insurance on our behalf.  

Since 2014, it's now a legal requirement that all double glazing installers offer an Insurance Backed Guarantee with any installation they carry out.  This protects your warranty period should a company go out of business.  This is also a good way to sort out the reputable companies from the cowboys.

Return to Top

What is the GGF?

The Glass and Glazing Federation (GGF) is the main representative organisation for companies involved in all aspects of the manufacture of flat glass and products and services for all types of glazing, in commercial and domestic sectors.

The GGF is recognised by government and plays a large part in the setting of new standards and regulations, such as The Building Regulations, the rules that govern and control the way our buildings are constructed in the UK.

When looking for a manufacturer, supplier or contractor for all glass types and glass related products, energy efficient windows or conservatories you should start by looking for a Glass and Glazing Federation Member.

Return to Top

How long will it take from my order to be fitted?

Once your order is received the next stage is for our surveyor to visit your property.  We would then normally contact you once the product is ready to arrange an installation date.  The lead time will mainly depend upon the product you have ordered.

For example:  white PVCu windows and doors manufactured on site we can commence installation within 2-3 weeks from survey.  However, many factors can influence your installation date, how busy our factory, fitters and suppliers might be. And of course, the weather.

Return to Top

Do your products meet British Standards?

Yes, our products not only meet ALL British specifications and standards, but far exceed them.  For more information about our accreditations, please contact us.

Return to Top

Where must fire-resistant glass be used?

Fire-resistant glass is normally used to prevent fire spread and to provide a safe escape route and safe access for firefighters.  

Return to Top

What is integrity (E) and integrity/insulation (EI) fire rated glass?

Integrity (E) fire resisting screens and doors prevent the passage of flames and hot gases; integrity and insulation (EI) fire resisting screens and doors restrict the temperature rise of the unexposed to below specified levels.

Return to Top

How can I reduce condensation?

Your new doors and windows are designed to close, very tightly to save energy and will be considerably better sealed than the previous installation.  However, where humidity levels are high condensation may occur on cold surfaces in the room.  This can be counteracted with correct ventilation.

*  Provide natural ventilation.

*  Open one window in each room for part of the day to allow change of air within.

*  Fit extractor hoods over cookers and other equipment producing steam.

*  Keep internal doors closed, to prevent the transfer of moist air.

*  Increase the air temperature within the building especially in cold weather. 

Return to Top